Once again, this a podcast that I recorded, edited, mixed, mastered, and distributed as part of The Humanitarian Assistance Podcast in May 2016. Featuring the hosting talents of Anaïde Nahikian and Julia Brooks as well as seven expert commentators on three continents, "The Role of Humanitarian Professionals in Promoting Respect for IHL" is another fine example of the insightful discussions The Humanitarian Assistance Podcast has been delivering for years. Again, the website where you can stream the podcast was also designed & built by me.
I'm Andy. I'm a student at Northeastern University School of Law. I'm also a freelance instructional designer and educational technologist specializing in cutting-edge LMS deployments and online courses with a clean, modern look. It's fun work where I get to blend creativity, problem solving, and project management. From 2016-2017, I was an Instructional Designer for the NYU Tandon School of Engineering Online, where I designed fully-online graduate courses in such subjects as machine learning and prototyping. I also assisted in the development of Tandon Online's style guide, project planning systems, and storyboarding tools. From 2012-2016, I was the Media Specialist at the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), part of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. My work at HHI encompassed four distinct roles:
Principal Web Developer for the Advanced Training Program on Humanitarian Action (ATHA) and the Building a Better Response (BBR) project. Responsible for:
- Installing, configuring, and updating CMS/LMS
- Modifying existing modules and creating custom modules
- Coordinating with web hosts, domain registrars, and other vendors
- Providing technical support for users and training for administrators
- Creating stand-alone microsites to replace publications previously only available as PDFs using HTML5, CSS3, and jQuery
UX Designer for ATHA and BBR. Responsible for:
- Consulting with all relevant stakeholders and incorporating their feedback into designs when appropriate
- Applying modular design principles via Pattern Lab
- Creating responsive themes for ATHA (Drupal) and BBR (Moodle)
Lead E-Learning Developer for ATHA and BBR. Responsible for:
- Coordinating with educators, researchers, administrators, students, and professionals in scripting complex self-paced e-learning courses
- Leading project teams of two to five individuals in storyboarding, graphic design, and development via Articulate Storyline
Technical Director for The Humanitarian Assistance Podcast. Responsible for:
- Recording, mixing, and mastering each episode
- Advising producers, hosts, and interviewees on content, technical considerations, and podcasting best practices
Prior to joining HHI, I interned for New England Public Radio, where I reported and produced more than a dozen news spots which were broadcast on WFCR-Amherst and WBUR-Boston. I hold a BA in New Media Journalism from Hampshire College.
I write and perform music and poetry. You can see some of both on my YouTube channel. I sometimes produce weird electronic music under the name Spectrometer. I used to make a sports-radio style podcast about the art of competitive performance poetry called SlamCenter, but the program is now on indefinite hiatus.
I like complicated videos games, obsess over politics a little too much, and make sopaipillas every chance I get.